An Australian student visa is a temporary visa that allows an individual to stay in Australia to pursue their study.
However, as per the guidelines issued and w.e.f.July 1,2016, for the Australian Student Visa, have altered, and a Simplified Student Visa Framework (SSVF) has been launched.
According to the Department of Immigration and Border Protection, all international students wanting to study in Australia are now required to apply for a visa under Subclass 500 and thus effectively unites the erstwhile subclasses 571 – 576 into one.
Types Of Australian Student Visa
There are majorly three types of Australian student visas’ provided by study visa consultants that hold expertise in making students reach their dream destinations.
Student visa subclass 500:
Using subclass 500 visa students can stay in Australia for the duration of their study program, which is mostly up to five years and in line with your enrolment date. After getting a letter of acceptance or Conditional offer letter, Student can file their application.
Three Major scopes of subclass 500 visa:
- Students can participate in their desired study program.
- Students can accomplish their family members to Australia.
- Students can file their visa online in or outside of Australia
Student guardian visa subclass 590:
Parent, a custodian, or a relative who wishes to go to Australia along with their student can apply for a subclass 590 visa. It is a temporary visa and the length of visa will be determined by the student visa holder’s stay and their age.
- With this visa, the applicant can come to Australia to take care of student who is less than 18 or older due to exceptional circumstances
- The applicant must be 21 years or older who is a parent, custodian, or relative.
- Should have enough money to support themselves and student during the stay in Australia.
- Should be able to provide all support includes accommodation, welfare and others.
Training visa subclass 407:
It is a temporary visa that allows the applicant to stay in Australia for up to 2 years to take part in workplace-based occupational training activities to improve their skills, area of tertiary study, the field of expertise, or in a professional development training program in Australia.
- An applicant can engage in a classroom-based training program.
- They can also participate in the workplace-based training program to enhance their job skill in the area of tertiary study or field of expertise.
- This visa is not for the people who basically want to work in Australia.
Eligibility For Australian Student Visa
As an international student willing to study in Australia, you must ensure that you fulfill the following eligibility criteria for obtaining your student visa:
- Subclass 500 is the name given to the Australia Student Visa.
- Only if you wish to study a registered course or a portion of it full-time will you be eligible for a student visa.
- The student visa has a maximum validity period of five years.
- The course you want to take must be on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS).
- You will be sent an electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE) certificate, which will validate your enrollment in an Australian university.
- Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) statement – this is proof that you want to come to Australia simply to study and not to live.
- Four passport-sized photos taken recently
- Certified or notarized copies of academic transcripts/documents
- Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) – This health insurance is approved by the Australian government and offers basic medical and hospital coverage. This insurance is available through your university.
- If you are a non-native English speaker, the results of English language examinations such as IELTS, TOEFL, and PTE are important.
- Evidence of financial resources to meet all costs during the research period
- Proof of civil status, if applicable
- Prior to your application, the Australian University will notify you of any extra requirements.
- Financial Requirements – In order to get a student visa, you must demonstrate that you have the finances to cover your course fees, travel, and living expenses.
- Character Requirement – You must present a certificate proving that you have no criminal history.
- Proof of visa fee payment – evidence that you have paid the necessary visa costs.
Please Note: If there are any other additional requirements, the university you have been selected for will let you know.
Documents Required For Australia Study Visa
Essential Documents Required For Australian Study Visa For Indian Students
Are as follows:
- Valid passport
- Students filled Australian student visa application form (157A)
- 4 recent passport-sized photographs
- Statement of purpose (SOP)
- English proficiency requirement: IELTS, TOEFL iBT, Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic, and Cambridge Advanced English (CAE) test score is valid
- Receipt of the Application fees paid
- Certificate of Enrolment (CoE)
- Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC): All the international students must have covered health insurance before applying for an Australian study visa
- Police clearance certificate/character verification certificate, showing no criminal records
- Character Statutory Declaration Form
- All academic documents and work experience certificate
- Proof of financial ability to meet the cost of living (tuition fees, travel, living expenses, and return air ticket) which is around AU$19,830 (~US$15,170) for a year
- Health/Medical Certificate: International the student must submit medical check-up records from a doctor who is approved by the Australian immigration department
- Students are supposed to apply for the Visa at least 12 weeks before their institution’s orientation date.
|Base Application Charge
|Additional Applicant Charges if 18 years or above
|Additional Applicant charges if less than 18 years
|The Subsequent Temporary Applicant Charge
|Student Visa (Subclass 500)
|AUD 630 (34,311 INR)
|AUD 460 (25,052 INR)
|AUD 150 (8,169 INR)
|AUD 700 (38,123 INR)
|Student Visa (subclass 500) (Subsequent Entrant)
|AUD 620 (33,766 INR)
|AUD 460 (25,052 INR)
|AUD 150 (8,169 INR)
|AUD 700 (38,123 INR)
|Student Visa (Subclass 500) Foreign Affairs or Defense Sector
|Student Visa (Subclass 500) Postgraduate Research Sector
|AUD 620 (33,766 INR)
Application Process For Australia Study Visa
For an online application for Australian Student Visa
Step 1: Create an account
To apply for a Student Visa, create an online account on ImmiAccount which is maintained under the Department of Immigration and Citizenship website www.immi.gov.au.
Step 2: Log in to the online application account
Log in to your online application account to proceed with your application. You can also download the Application Form for Student Visa.
Step 3: Fill in the details
You must fill in all the required details and documents through an online account. For relevant documents refer to the Application Document Checklist.
Step 4: Submit your application
After filling up all the details you will have to submit your application online with the visa application fee.
Step 5: Keep your TRN safely
When you submit your application, you will be provided with a Transaction Reference Number (TRN). Use this TRN safemust to follow the progress of your application.
Step 6: Track your application
You can track and manage your application using the Transaction Reference Number (TRN). You will also be able to communicate with the concerned officials with the TRN.
For an offline application for Australian Student Visa
If you cannot apply online, you can lodge a paper application.
Step 1: Get your application form
You can download the relevant application form online or get an application form from the nearest Australia Visa Application Centre.
Step 2: Lodge your application in person
You can lodge your application at the nearest immigration office outside Australia and pay the required visa application fee.
Step 3: Wait for a decision
Submit your application, wait for the decision on that.
How ODMIT can help you with your student visa Australia application process?
This is a quite valid question to ask. ODMIT is one of the most important representatives of leading institutions in Australia. They’re the best in providing right visa application by registered study visa consultants, health insurance, and post landing services. In addition to that, complex visa applications like visitor visa, students visa, partner visa, and employer sponsored visa can be easily handled by them.
Visit Visa: Travel for leisure or business to any part of the world with ODMIT.
Study Visa: Study in Globally-recognized Universities.
Work Visa: Work & settle in the World’s Best Cities.
Immigration: We are your one-stop solution for all your visa and immigration needs
Permanent Residence: Become a Permanent Resident and enjoy special benefits.
Profile Evaluation: Based on your unique profile history, we make matches with the visa eligibility requirements, and advise you with the visas you must apply for.
Resume Writing: We guide you to create a resume that stands out as desired by the concerned immigration authority.
Procuring documents: Help you arrange documents needed before applying for a visa.
Professional guidance: Be it providing you with interview training, French/English courses or working samples for resumes, cover letters or assisting with application forms, medical or police clearance certificates – we will always be there for you.
Dedicated Case-Officer: We offer personal assistance and a single point-of-contact between the company and you, throughout the process
Post-Landing Services: We help you settle down in the country after you’ve received your visa. These services are specifically customized as per your requirements.