The UK tourist visa also known as Standard Visitor Visa, is a short-stay visa that allows a candidate to stay in UK for up to 6 months. However, the embassy has the right to issue visas for a shorter period of time.
This type of visitor visa is issued to people who visit United Kingdom with the purpose of:
- Visiting family friends
- Professional reasons
- and medical treatment
As per the UK government, the Standard Visitor visa has replaced these visas:
- Family Visitor visa
- General Visitor visa
- Child Visitor visa
- Business Visitor visa, including visas for academics, doctors and dentists
- Sports Visitor visa
- Entertainer Visitor visa
- Prospective Entrepreneur visa
- Private Medical Treatment Visitor visa
- Approved Destination Status (ADS) visa
There are a few fundamental conditions which must be met in order to apply for a Visitor Visa, regardless of the Visitor Visa route you wish to go down. This includes:
Regular UK Standard Visitor Visa
Convince the immigration officer about these –
- You need to show that you will return to your homeland after your visit
- You need to have the financial ability to support yourself and your dependents during your stay
- You need to show that you can afford a return ticket and any costs that can occur during your stay.
- You are having proof of any business or other activities that you plan to do in the UK as permitted by the Visitor Rules.
Long-Term UK Standard Visitor Visa
Convince the immigration officer about these –
- To visit the UK, you’ll only need this if you’re on a vacation, attending a business conference, or visiting family.
- At the end of the trip to the United Kingdom, you will be required to leave.
A visa may be issued for a shorter period of time if you are unable to convince these points. Also, when you are granted a shorter visa, the application fee is not refundable.
If you have lived in the UK for significant or longer periods of time, your visa may be withdrawn and you may face a long-term ban.
UK Standard Visitor Visa as an Academic
You will have to prove that you are highly qualified within your field of expertise.
- You will have to take part in a formal exchange with a UK counterpart.
- You will have to carry out your own research.
- Or, you should take part in someone else’s research, teaching, or clinical practice. This should however not involve filling a permanent teaching post.
UK Standard Visa for Private Medical Treatment
- In the UK, you have a medical condition requiring specialized care.
- It is clear that you have made or paid for an appointment or consultation.
- You have enough money to cover your expenses and don’t need to rely on governmental assistance.
- You have the option of paying for your return or forward travel.
- After the treatment is finished or your visa expires, you will have to depart the country.
- You are neither contagious or a threat to the public’s health in any way.
UK Standard Visitor Visa as an Organ Donor
You will have to fulfil these visa requirements to come to the UK as an organ donor –
- You are a family member and genetically related to the recipient (a parent or sibling).
- You have a close personal relationship with the recipient (a friend or spouse).
UK Transit Visa
You can apply for a visitor in Transit Visa if you are not a national from EEA or Switzerland and will leave the UK within 48 hours.
- As long as you aren’t travelling through UK Immigration Control, you can apply for a Direct Airside Transit Visa.
- You’ll have to decide whether or not you want to travel through UK Customs and Border Protection.
- If you can show that you will be passing through the UK on a regular basis for extended periods of time, you may be eligible for a long-term multiple entry Transit Visa.
Marriage Visitor Visa
This type of visitor visa allows you to get married in the United Kingdom.
You will have to apply for this type of visa if you plan to:
- Register a civil partnership or get married in the UK.
- Give notice of a civil partnership or marriage in the UK.
- Not stay or settle in the UK after marriage or civil partnership.
- You can directly apply for a Standard UK Visitor Visa if you wish to convert your civil partnership into a marriage.
|Max.Length of Stay
|Standard Visitor Visa
|Standard Visitor Visa for Medical Reasons
|Standard Visitor Visa for Academics
|2 Year Long-Term Standard Visitor Visa
|6 months per visit
|5 Year Long-Term Standard Visitor Visa
|6 months per visit
|10 Year Long-Term Standard Visitor Visa
|6 months per visit
- UK tourist visa application form VAF1A. You should complete the form online.
- Two photographs in accordance with the UK guidelines. They should be taken within the past six months and be in color.
- Your valid passport with at least one blank page. It must be valid for three more months beyond the date you plan to leave the UK after your trip.
- Proof of financial means to cover living costs while you are in the UK. This may be your bank statements for the last six months or payslips for the same period.
- Specifics about your accommodation in the UK. You will need to present a document that shows where you will be accommodated while in the UK. Note that you do not have to fully pay a hotel/hostel in UK before getting the visa, just to get such a document. This could also be:
- ID information and living address of a person covering your travel costs.
- ID information and passport number of any relative living here.
- Detailed travel itinerary. It has to contain dates of your onward and backward travel. Submit a travel plan that gives all the information regarding how and what you are planning to do in the UK. Include the travel dates, places you will visit, meeting agenda, booked tour, festival agenda, etc.
- Previous travel history. This has to cover the period of the last 10 years. It can be proven through visas and entry/exit border stamps in current and older passports, or through separate residence titles.
- Specifics about your living address in the home country. Also, you’ve to show how long you’ve been living there.
- Biometric information. If you are applying for a visa that lets you stay in UK for more than 6 months, you will need to submit your biometric information. This includes giving your fingerprints and a digital photograph taken at the appropriate application center.
- Letter of invitation from the host.
- Paid UK visa fees. You should submit the receipt that confirms you have paid the visa fee as required.
- Certified translations of any document that is not in either English or Welsh.
- Recognized certificate of English language.
- Your criminal history.
- If you are a student: Academic and professional certificates.
- The names and birthdates of your natural/adoptive parents. This has to be supported by information about the number of their annual earnings.
- If you are employed in your home country: Contact and information of your existing employer.
- Tuberculosis Test Results. Nationals of several world countries will need to submit the requests of a Tuberculosis Test in order to be eligible for a UK Visa. Check here if you need to provide the TB test results.
Application Process For UK Visitor Visa
Filling the Application Form
Visit gov.uk and fill in your UK visit/tourist visa application. Make sure you fill in all your details correctly. Any information incorrectly mentioned can get your visa rejected. In case you need help with your visa process or require the process to be expedited, you can also apply through a visa agent in exchange for a small fee.
Pay for the UK Visa Processing fee
After filling in your form, pay for the UK visa fees via a valid debit or credit card. The standard UK tourist visa from India should cost you around Rs 7,981/-
Book your interview appointment
After the completion of your payment, you will be asked to book your interview date. Ensure that your appointment is on a date you are available. In case you want to reschedule your appointment, you will be required to fill in the UK visa application all over again!
Carry your documents
While you go for your appointment, ensure you have printed copies of your application form, your UK visa fee receipt, and of course your passport
Additionally, it’s also handy to have documents such as your tentative flight bookings, hotels, your UK travel insurance world cup tickets, copies of your passport, etc just in case they ask for it. Supporting documents always make your application for a UK visitor visa from India stronger.
UK Tourist Visa Processing Time
A standard UK tourist visa from India should generally take up to 2 weeks to process. But, just to be on the safe side, it’s always better to apply at least 3 weeks before.
Travel Insurance for UK
People often ask, “do I really need travel insurance for UK?” and as mentioned earlier, it’s always better to be on the safe side and have one! Even if you’re not taking it to support visa documents, a travel insurance will protect you from all unfortunate situations whilst you’re traveling. The same can be bought online at any point before your travel.
How ODMIT Will Help?
Match Your Profile: Visa eligibility standards are matched based on your personal history.
Guided Documents: Before applying for UK tourist visa, we will assist you in procuring the necessary paperwork.
Expert Guidance: As a visa adviser, we are well-versed in the specifics of the application process for UK Tourist Visa.
Proof Of Funds: Expert guidance on how to obtain finance and documents
Highlighting opportunities: Highlighting high-potential opportunities across global industries