Homepage / UK Work Permit Visa

UK Work Permit Visa

UK Work Permit Visa

The skilled worker visa allows qualifying individuals to come to the UK to work for an approved sponsor in an eligible role. The Skilled Worker Visa, which has replaced the Tier 2(General) visa, is the main UK immigration route for non-UK resident workers.

Under the TIER 2 program, skilled workers from countries like India whose occupations are listed on the Tier 2 Shortage Occupation List, can apply to work in the UK on a long-term basis and advance their professional aspirations in a stimulating environment. 

Entrepreneurs, investors and exceptional talents are given extra preference in this visa category. The applicants must not be from EU/EEA/EFTA nations because the employment protocols are different for citizens of those countries.

Types of UK Work Permit Visa
  • Tier 2 (General) Visa / Skilled Worker visa
  • Exclusively meant for skilled foreign nationals who are Non-EU citizens applying for an employment visa with proof of offered employment in UK, specifically related to a profession on the shortage occupation list
  • Must have certificate of sponsorship from a licensed UK employer
  • The work you plan to do in the UK must be directly related to the declared work profile of your sponsor organization.
  • If you plan to switch fields you will have to reapply under the right occupation category or do the necessary transfer of permit paperwork, as advised by the immigration authority.
  • Tier 2 visa also provides options for professionals in special situations
  • Tier 2 Intra-Company Transfer Visa: For transfer workers employed in companies who are based in UK as well as other countries.
  • Tier 2 Minister of Religion Visa: For ministers of religions within a religious organisation and who has a registered UK Chapter.
  • Tier 2 Sportsperson Visa: For coaches and sportspersons who have excelled in achievements in Sports or has unique skill or knowledge that can improve the performance of British individuals participating in sports/fitness.

Tier 1 (General) Visa

  • If you are a current visa holder who has UK permanent residence permit, that is, you have permission to stay (‘leave to remain’) in the UK., you can apply to switch from your current visa to a Tier 1 (General) visa. This is offered to persons who are already staying in UK and not applicable to any other immigration categories.

Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent) Visa

  • To apply for the visa in this category, you must be endorsed as an internationally recognized leader or emerging luminary in your field in science, humanities, engineering, medicine, digital technology or arts. You cannot be an EU citizen.
Eligibility Requirement

There are a number of requirements which you need to meet in order to be eligible for the Skilled Worker Visa.

The main eligibility criteria is as follows:

  • Must have been offered a job by a UK employer which holds a sponsorship licence
  • The job offer must be a ‘genuine vacancy’ and at an appropriate skill level
  • Must have been given a certificate of sponsorship from the employer, which details information about the job being offered in the UK
  • The job must offer a certain minimum salary, which differs depending on the job role
  • Must be able to prove that your English language ability is to at least the level of B1 as set by the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages
  • Must have enough money to support yourself whilst you are in the UK (you will need to provide documentation to prove this)
  • Must provide criminal record and valid TB certificate (if applicable)
  • If your application is successful, you can stay in the UK for up to five years under this immigration permission.
Documents Required

You will need to submit certain information and documentation to the Home Office as part of the application process.

You will need to provide the following information:

  • A valid passport or other document which shows your identity and nationality
  • Your certificate of sponsorship reference number
  • Proof of your English language ability (unless exempt)
  • Your job title, occupation code and salary
  • The name of the employer and their sponsorship licence number

You may also be asked to provide the following information:

  • Bank statements which demonstrate you can financially support yourself, as explained below
  • Proof of your relationship to your partner, children or dependents if they are applying with you
  • Tuberculosis test result (if applicable)
  • Criminal record certificate if applying for certain jobs. (Broadly speaking, this is jobs in healthcare, education and welfare sectors
  • Your UK PhD certificate or unique UK NARIC reference number if qualification is from outside the UK (if applicable)

Please Note: Any documents which are not in English or Welsh must be translated by an accredited translator. You need to include both the original version and translated version in your portfolio of evidence.

Fees For Skilled Worker Visa
Application typeApplication fee per applicant
Applying from outside the UKup to 3 years – £610 per person more than 3 years – £1,220 per person
Applying from inside the UK (switching, updating or extending)up to 3 years – £704 per person more than 3 years – £1,408 per person
Shortage occupation roles, both in-country and out of country applicationsup to 3 years – £464 per person more than 3 years – £928 per person

Application Process For UK Work Permit Visa

You must apply for a Skilled Worker Visa online. You can apply for the visa outside the UK, or inside the UK if you are switching from an eligible visa or extending a current work visa.

As part of the application process, you will need to prove your identity. You will need to either provide your biometric information (fingerprints and a photo) or use the ‘UK Immigration: ID Check’ app to scan your identity document. You will be informed of what you need to do when you complete the application.

You can apply for the visa up to three months before the day you are due to start your job. If you apply from outside the UK, you can expect a decision within 3 weeks. Those applying from inside the UK may have to wait up to 8 weeks to receive a decision on the application.

The application process may take longer if the documents and information which you provide is insufficient.  Also, you might be asked to verify certain documents or attend an interview.

How ODMIT Can Help You?
  • Assessment of Your Personal Circumstances

We know that every case is different. Our OISC registered consultants are here to listen, understand and provide you with accurate advice about the best UK visa route according to your personal circumstances.


Following our comprehensive assessment of your circumstances we will provide you with full details of all documentation we require to prepare and submit a successful work permit application on your behalf.

  • Preparation and Submission of Your Application

Once you’ve provided all of the request documents your dedicated case manager will collate all documentation and prepare your application in accordance with the latest immigration rules and requirements.

  • Advertising the Role

If necessary, we can advise and assist with ensuring the advertisement placed meets the government criteria.

  • Application Monitoring and Liaising with UKBA

Your case worker will submit your application to the UKBA on your behalf and monitor progress, keeping you up to date at every step of the way. We will also manage any requests for additional information from the UKBA. Then as soon as UKBA have approved your work permit application we’ll notify you immediately. Our team of qualified immigration consultants know first-hand the stress involved with making a UK visa application and we’re on hand to answer any questions you have throughout the application process.